One half of the 2021 PFL Playoffs light heavyweight bracket concluded in unfortunate fashion Friday.
On the first kick he threw, Ferreira (14-10) clutched the back of his other leg, and crumpled to the canvas. Injured and on his back, Ferreira covered up as best he could but the fight was waved off by the referee.
A mix of disappointment and excitement, a confused Hamlet (8-2) celebrated with his team before he expressed his lack of pride in the method of his victory.
— PFL (@PFLMMA) August 28, 2021
Shortly after the result was announced in the cage, PFL fighter Chris Camozzi accused Ferreira of a dive. Camozzi competed in a prelim showcase matchup earlier on the card when he defeated Cory Hendricks.
“Huh,” Camozzi wrote in a tweet. “That’s a dive by Cezar. I saw him at the weigh-ins, black and purple leg. My coaches saw it too. He showed up for a show paycheck @PFLMMA can’t believe they cleared him to fight.”
- Marthin Hamlet def. Cezar Ferreira via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:13
- Sheymon Moraes def. Lazar Stojadinovic via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:45
- Chris Camozzi def. Cory Hendricks via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Anthony Dizy def. Jesse Stirn via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bobby Moffett def. Jason Knight via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alejandro Flores def. Carl Deaton via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Brandon Jenkins def. Jacob Kilburn via knockout (flying knee) – Round 1, 2:56