Conor McGregor, one half of Saturday night’s UFC 264 headliner, is still in denial about his loss to Dustin Poirier. Even after surgery for a broken tibia.
Conor McGregor call Dustin Poirier win ‘illegitimate’
Following what he called a successful and “excellent” surgery to repair the broken bone suffered during his bout with Poirier inside Las Vegas, Nevada’s T-Mobile Arena, McGregor, 32, took to his Twitter account to give fans an update on his health. However, despite the positivity at the outset of the video, the Irishman could not help himself and once again tried to deny the legitimacy of “Diamond’s” trilogy fight victory over him.
“Dustin, you can celebrate that illegitimate win all you want, but you’ve done nothing in there. That second round would have shown all,” McGregor said from his hospital bed.
McGregor’s injury occurred in the opening round of the pair’s bout and was likely a result of Poirier checking an early kick from his opponent. Inside the Octagon following the fight, McGregor denied the injury occurred by way of Poirier offering the perfect defense at the right time.
Over the weekend, the former two-division champion’s head coach John Kavanaugh added to the debate during an Instagram LIve conversation with UFC broadcaster Laura Sanko. Alleging “Notorious” injured his ankle in training for the highly anticipated rubber match.
“Little bit of that ankle injury had been aggravated during the camp,” he said. “We’d gotten a scan on it. Did that have a small part to play in weakening it? I don’t know.”
Despite losing three of his last four in the Octagon, and having a long recovery ahead of him, McGregor’s desire to return to action has not been deterred in the least. He expects to be back “better than ever.”
“Onwards and upwards we go team. We dust ourselves off, we build ourselves back and we come back better than ever,” McGregor said.